Friday, December 9, 2011

Technology!


This class was different from other classes because of the use of web technologies. Before taking this class I had never uploaded a video or a PowerPoint presentation. I also never created a blog before.
             Online learning is different than in person learning for several reasons. The main reason is I didn’t need to be at a specific place at a certain time to listen to a lecture or to complete work. Without these constraints I could review and start working on assignments whenever I want within a deadline period. Of course with this freedom it can be difficult to find the motivation to get online to start the work because there is no definite schedule of when class starts for the week. Like with physical classes I know I have to go because if I miss one lecture I know I could get behind or not hear important information. With online classes I know all the information is there so there seems no urgency to acquire it.
            The benefit to taking an online English class is that this is a class that doesn’t need to be in person. Most of this class is about reading texts and writing which is something that students can do themselves with little guidance.  There are some classes that need to be taken in person like for instance classes with lab requirements but an English class is not among them.
            When I found out this class was centered partially to posting on a blog weekly I was unsure how it would turn out. With the end of the semester at this point I can see how writing on a blog was a good idea for an online English class. Not only to get feedback from other students but to have all my work together in one place. The comments I received in response to my writing are more critical. I think it’s because it’s an online environment which is helpful in knowing where improvement in my work needs to be made. This is feedback in addition to my instructor. I could realistically see how a blog would be a good way to share my experiences with others so I would feasibly use this median in the future for sharing. This course along with some online technologies I used for the first time was a great help to improving my skills and as a result I’m happy I took this class with Laura Cline as the instructor.


Link to article on why online classes are better.


Image from here.
 

1 comment:

  1. Great last post. I agree with you when you say that online has both its challenges and perks. I know that I would never try to take a math class online because of the missing a lecture or a lab class, such as biology. It was great having an online class because I work full time and go to school full time, so this class really let me work around my work schedule. While my lectures of course, did not. Good luck next semester.

    ReplyDelete